This past Sunday night we hosted a group of friends to watch the cult-classic Walking Dead…only 3 episodes left and we are hooked! How will it end?! Who is going to die?! Oh yes…back to the food! So, I began to think what to feed a mini crowd… well, the answer to all of my more than 4 people meals – the SLOW COOKER! I decided tacos were an easy and fun meal to whip up and tacos allow each person to personalize their plate. It’s all about good quality meat, and then the toppings! I wanted to keep it rather light so I decided to go with chicken instead of pork or beef. This recipe doubled was the perfect amount for 8 people (with a little leftover). The chicken breasts cooked in the slow cooker on low for roughly 8 hours and then they were easily shredded with a fork. The chicken was incredibly tender and flavorful with cumin, chili powder, garlic, oregano, and orange and lime juices. The best part of this recipe is after the chicken is shredded you crisp it up under the broiler to get the carnitas effect…YUMMY!
A great presentation tip to share is using your muffin tin for all of your taco accouterments! This is a great way to wrangle all of your taco toppings into one area that’s easy to present for your guests and creates a fun taco bar concept! Feel free to load up with your favorite taco toppings such as cheese, guacamole, lettuce, onion, tomato, cilantro, Greek yogurt, and more!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker along with the mixture of the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook on low until tender, about 8 hours.
- Shred the chicken and spread it out in a single layer on the baking sheet. Ladle 1/4 of the juices from the slow cooker onto the baking sheet. Broil until the chicken starts getting crispy, about 5 minutes. Mix in another 1/4 cup of the juices, and broil for another 5 minutes.
- Assemble the chicken on the tortillas along with your favorite toppings. Serve and enjoy!