After the holidays and an indulgent New Year’s weekend I was excited to start my 1st Monday of 2016 with a healthy breakfast. Bon Appetit Magazine featured power smoothies in their January issue and I was dying to try the Avocado, Kale, Pineapple, and Coconut Smoothie. In reviewing some of the ingredients I realized there were some items that were a little more challenging to find…matcha and chopped coconut meat. I decided to tweak this recipe slightly and instead created an Avocado Kale Superfood smoothie. Instead of coconut water I used almond milk; added banana instead of pineapple; and then some blueberry Greek yogurt for some extra creaminess. The avocado in this recipe is full of Omega 3’s and the Greek yogurt gives a great boost of protein to get your morning started!
- 1 frozen banana, chopped in small chunks
- 1/2 cup blueberry Greek yogurt
- 1 cup kale (or spinach) leaves, chopped
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Place the banana, blueberry Greek yogurt, kale/spinach, avocado and almond milk in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth.