Looking for an easy weeknight meal after a long day at work…? I’m all for the meals that can be pulled together in less than 30 minutes! However, the key is to not just focus on how quickly the meal comes together, but also ensuring it’s flavorful and healthy! Anyone can pop Totino’s Pizza Rolls into the oven (my husband’s answer to a quick meal when he’s home alone – oh how spoiled he’s become…) – anyway, this recipe is sure to hit the nail on the head for flavor, timeliness, and nutrition!
The bacon is prepared first allowing the butternut squash and white beans to roast in the bacon drippings and add lots of great flavor! Oregano is used in this recipe to warm up the dish; however you could use sage instead and even sprinkle a few crushed red pepper flakes to add a little heat!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)—peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon; let cool, then break into pieces. Reserve the skillet.
- Add the cubed squash to the drippings in the skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the broth, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Add the beans and red wine vinegar and heat through, 2 minutes. Top with the bacon and serve!