This Lenten season I have given up SWEETS…on weekdays only…so, come Saturday, bring on the desserts! The past few weekends of Lent I have been really looking forward to my weekend sugar indulgence and wanted to try something chocolately and ooey gooey! Since this past Fall I have found a new love in Rice Krispies Treats and have loved doctoring them up with an added flavor component – such as my Fall recipe of Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispies Treats – this time around I decided to incorporate Nutella, and boy oh boy, was it an indulgent success! The best part of Rice Krispies Treats – they are SO easy to make and always a big hit with EVERYONE!
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 to 1 Cup Nutella
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups marshmallows
- Grease a 9x9 or 8x8 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, on low heat, heat the butter. Once the butter is melted add the marshmallows, stirring until melted. Once the butter/marshmallow mixture is combined remove from heat.
- Add in the Nutella one spoonful at a time stirring until it melts. Add 1/2 cup for lighter flavor or up to 1 cup for richer flavor. You may need to put it back on very low heat to keep it smooth.
- Pour in the Rice Krispies and stir until well coated with the melted Nutella and marshmallow mixture. Immediately pour into the greased baking dish and press the mixture down evenly into the pan. Let set and cut into small squares.