During the Christmas season one of my favorite traditional family recipes is Chicken Livers wrapped in Bacon…who doesn’t love ANYTHING wrapped in bacon? In honor of Thanksgiving I decided to change up a family classic and feature this as a holiday appetizer! This wrapped in bacon item is a Medjool Date stuffed with Goat cheese and baked until crisp! I like to prepare these in advance (always make more than you think you’ll need – they go fast!) and keep readily available in the fridge so you can pop into the oven in waves as the festivities continue! If you aren’t a goat cheese fan you can easily substitute your favorite cheese…I would also recommend blue cheese and manchego.
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut in half
- 1 pound pitted Medjool dates
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice dates in half, and open them up - remove the pit.
- Pinch off pieces of goat cheese, and place them into the center of the dates. Close the halves of the dates, and wrap a half-slice of bacon around the outside. Secure each one with a toothpick.
- Arrange in a baking dish or on a baking sheet with sides to catch any grease.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the oven, or until the bacon is crisp. Turn dates over after the first 20 minutes for even cooking.
- You'll need toothpicks to hold together the bacon once wrapped around the date.