Happy Labor Day! It’s the last official day of the summer season and that usually means staying outside until it’s dark, ensuring everything you’re eating is coming off of a hot grill and savoring the last few days of hot weather! What goes perfectly with this Labor Day backyard vision…why, a Cherry Merlot Winesicle of course! It’s the perfect adult treat to indulge in…a smooth, soft, red wine combined with fresh cherries and poured into a popsicle mold to create a frozen wine cocktail! Just note because of the alcohol content these popsicles won’t freeze as hard and will melt fast.
- 1½ cups Merlot
- 1½ cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 6 ounces simple syrup
- Combine merlot, cherries and simple syrup in blender and blend until completely smooth, about 30 seconds on high speed.
- Divide between 9 popsicle molds. Insert sticks and freeze completely, about 6 hours.
- Run molds under hot water to release winesicles and serve immediately.
- NOTE: You can purchase simply syrup at gourmet grocery stores or liquor stores or you can make your own. To make your own simply syrup you will need 1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of water. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool - roughly 30 minutes - then use in above winesicle recipe.