It’s officially the last week of August (kind of like the last week of summer, in my opinion). I wanted to be sure I made all of my wish list recipes this summer and these fish tacos were one of the last one’s I’ve been saving! Our neighbors invited us over for a lunch picnic this summer and made these incredible fish tacos with all of the perfect accouterments! I couldn’t wait to try my hand at a fish taco recipe immediately after that! This recipe has the perfect combination of spicy, flaky white fish, crunchy slaw and creamy lime drizzle on top. It’s an easy, tasty, weeknight meal that hits all of the end of summer notes!
- 2 lbs haddock fillets
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups (loosely packed) shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- salt, to taste
- warmed tortillas (corn or flour), for serving
- Season fish on both sides with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine paprika, cayenne, garlic powder and cumin. Sprinkle over fish on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a grill pan on medium-high heat. Add half of the fish and cook until the edges are opaque, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until fish flakes easily with fork, and is just ever-so-slightly translucent (it will finish cooking with the residual heat). Transfer fish to a plate and repeat with remaining fish.
- To make cabbage slaw, toss all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- To make crema, whisk all ingredients together and season to taste with salt.
- Serve fish in warmed tortillas with cabbage slaw and a drizzle of crema.