One of my favorite things to do on Sunday night before the week starts is to use up all of the leftover fruits and veggies and whip up easy and quick lunch salads for work. It doesn’t have to be fussy or overly complicated – just simple, fresh and a recipe that gets all of that leftover produce out of the fridge. I always keep quinoa, couscous or orzo on hand for these impromptu salads and I decided to use quinoa in this salad as it has a light, fluffy texture that blends perfectly with a hearty stone fruit like peaches. Then from there’s it’s simple – grab the items in your fridge and start mixing in…this week I had a few leftover peaches from the Farmers Market and basil from our garden. Voila! Within minutes you have a beautiful and delicious salad ready for the work week! Just hold off on dressing now if you plan to pack for your lunch…it can make the salad a bit soggy – just pack your balsamic vinegar and olive oil separately and you’re good to go!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup peeled and diced peaches
- ¼ cup basil chiffonade
- ⅓ cup of goat cheese
- Balsamic vinegar and Olive Oil for dressing
- Cook quinoa (according to package directions) and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place quinoa, peaches, basil and goat cheese in a medium size bowl and gently stir together.
- When ready to eat drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil over mixture and enjoy!